Tuesday, May 09, 2006

US tipping Mexican government to Minute Men placement

Amazing...really...(here's the story)

What the Minute Men are doing is assisting the Border Patrol. Where they are, the Border Patrol doesn't need to have manpower.

If the goal of the Border Patrol is to secure the border (separate issue from how to deal with illegal immigration), how can this be anything but dispiriting.

I have heard it said several times lately that we will not get serious about this issue until we are attacked again. At first I dismissed this as a bit of hyperbole. The more I have seen and the longer time goes on with these kinds of stories, the more I, regrettably, agree.

If that is true...and that's a big IF...but if that is true...and it certainly is true that the more that time goes by, the more illegals (some of whom could certainly be bad guys...even terrorists) enter our country, what will be the risk of a catastrophic event? It seems it might be significant.

If you read the article it becomes clear that we are not serious about securing our border with Mexico and that Mexico wields weight that no foreign government should with an issue so important to our sovereign country.