Monday, December 06, 2004

Biased? Who cares?

Media bias I think is beyond dispute (link). But does it matter? If it's known and believed, does it really matter that the media is biased?

Blogger types and alternative media people will say that all the new ways of getting information is the reason for the downturn in ratings at (for lack of a better phrase) traditional media outlets.

I might even argue that the more obviously biased the networks are the better. When the nets have an objective report, it now tends to be discounted.

The Rathergate thing at CBS was the last gasp for the blatant bias at the nets. And it failed. They were caught and the upcoming report I believe will be scathing in its conclusion.

What many have thought was the case for many years has now been proved true. Everyone knows it. And there are other and sometimes better ways to get information. So is the power of the bias what it used to be?