Whenever this comes up, I stand the great chance of being misunderstood, so let me be perfectly clear:
1. I liked the movie 'Saving Private Ryan.'
2. I appreciated 'Saving Private Ryan' and I appreciate artistic integrity and the desires of a director (or any creator) to be allowed to craft as he sees fit.
3. I do not believe that 'Saving Private Ryan' should not be seen on television.
4. I DO believe that 'Saving Private Ryan' should not be seen on commercial television.
Some ABC affiliates have decided not to air 'Saving Private Ryan' tonight (story). I think it's the right decision, but for the wrong reason.
As I have always made the argument, the only problem is the fact that we're talking about public airwaves that are charged to 'broadcast in the public interest' and are bound to broadcast in accordance with 'community standards.' That isn't a favor they do us, that is their agreement to be granted their license.
If there is no editing of content that is clearly outside their agreement to be granted their license, there is no right to run programming. That is their agreement.
The ABC affiliates that have decided not to run this movie tonight (the same program many of them aired on two previous Veteran's Days) have made the right decision but for the wrong reason.